Christensen was the representative from the Virgin Islands and was a Democrat. She served from 1997 to 2014.
Because the Virgin Islands is a territory of the United States, and not a state, its representative in the House of Representatives is a delegate with limited voting privileges — Christensen can vote in committee but not on the House floor, including not on the final passage of bills. Delegates have a marginalized role in Congress and their constituents are not represented in Congress in the same manner as most citizens.
Alleged misconduct & resolution
In 2009 Christensen was investigated for receiving impermissible travel gifts. The House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct concluded Representative Christensen did not knowingly accept impermissble travel gifts. In 2014, Christensen did not seek reelection.
|Jun. 8, 2009||House Office of Congressional Ethics recommended that the Committee on?Standards of Official Conduct further review the allegations|
|Feb. 26, 2010||House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct concluded Representative Christensen did not knowingly accept impermissble travel gifts|
|2014||Christensen did not seek reelection.|
Read our 2014 Report Card for Christensen.
Christensen is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Christensen sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Christensen was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
- H.R. 6116 (112th): To amend the Revised Organic Act of the Virgin Islands to provide for direct review by the United States Supreme Court of decisions of the Virgin Islands ...
- H.R. 714 (111th): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to lease certain lands in Virgin Islands National Park, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 57 (110th): To repeal certain sections of the Act of May 26, 1936, pertaining to the Virgin Islands.
- H.R. 318 (109th): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to study the suitability and feasibility of designating Castle Nugent Farms located on St. Croix, Virgin Islands, as a unit ...
- H.R. 495 (107th): To designate the Federal building located in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands, as the “Ron de Lugo Federal Building”.
- H.R. 2296 (106th): To amend the Revised Organic Act of the Virgin Islands to provide that the number of members on the legislature of the Virgin Islands and the number ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Christensen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
empire777 loginPublic Lands and Natural Resources (32%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Taxation (12%) Energy (12%) Health (12%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%) Social Welfare (5%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (5%)
Some of Christensen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5803 (113th): To require the Secretary of the Interior to assemble a team of ...
- H.R. 5466 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 3821 (113th): Derek M. Hodge Virgin Islands Improvement Act of 2013
- H.Con.Res. 38 (113th): Recognizing and celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Virgin Islands becoming a ...
- H.R. 1966 (113th): Virgin Islands Visa Waiver Act of 2013
- H.R. 1085 (113th): To amend the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States to extend ...
- H.Con.Res. 13 (113th): Expressing the sense of the Congress that the United States Fish and ...
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: